Waiter: Hello, Can I help you?
Kim: Yes, I'd like to have some lunch.
Waiter: Would you like a starter?
Kim: Yes, I'd like a bowl of chicken soup, please.
Waiter: And what would you like for a main course?
Kim: I'd like a grilled cheese sandwich.
Waiter: Would you like anything to drink?
Kim: Yes, I'd like a glass of Coke, please.
Waiter... After Kim has her lunch.: Can I bring you anything else?
Kim: No thank you. Just the bill.
Kim:I don't have my glasses. How much is the lunch?
Waiter: That's $6.75.
Kim: Here you are. Thank you very much.
Waiter: You're welcome. Have a good day.
Kim: Thank you, the same to you.
Туризм як соціальне явище
· majority- більшість
· to seem - здаватися (It seems that – здається, що …)
· resort- курорт
· to book tickets through th Internet, by phone – замовляти квитки через інтернет, по телефону
· straight - прямо
· a tropical beach - тропічний пляж
· to breathe - дихати
· to climb the mountains -підміматися, лізти
· curious - цікавий, допитливий
· security - безпека
· to travel for pleasure – подорожувати в задоволення
· to travel on business – подорожувати у справі
· to take pictures - фотографуватись
· to broaden one's mind - розширювати кругозір
· take part in negotiations - брати участь у переговорах
· according to - згідно
Exersice 1: Read and translate the text ”Tourism”
Twenty years ago not many people travelled abroad for their holidays. The majority of people stayed to have holidays in their country. Today the situation is different and the world seems much smaller.
It is possible to book a holiday to a seaside resort on the other side of the world. Staying at home, you can book it through the Internet or by phone. The plane takes you straight there and within some hours of leaving your country, you can be on a tropical beach, breathing a super clean air and swimming in crystal warm water of tropical sea.
We can travel by car, by train or plane, if we have got a long distance tour. Some young people prefer walking or hitch-hike travelling, when you travel, paying nearly nothing. You get new friends, lots of fun and have no idea where you will be tomorrow. If you like mountains, you could climb any mountains around the globe and there is only one obstacle. It is money. If you like travelling, you have got to have some money, because it is not a cheap hobby indeed. The economy of some countries is mainly based on tourism industry. Modern tourism has become a highly developed industry, because any human being is curious, we like leisure, visit other places. That is why tourism is so popular.
Nowadays tourism has become a highly developed business. There are trains, cars and air jet liners, buses, ships that provide us with comfortable and secure travelling.
If we travel for pleasure, by all means one would like to enjoy picturesque places they are passing through, one would like seeing the places of interest, enjoying the sightseeing of the cities, towns and countries.
Nowadays people travel not only for pleasure but also on business. People have to go to other countries for taking part in different negotiations, for signing some very important documents, for participating in different exhibitions. Travelling on business helps people to get more information about achievements of other companies, which will help making own business more successful.
There are a lot of means of travelling: travelling by ship, by plane, by car, walking. It depends on a person to decide which means of travelling one would prefer.
Exersice 2: Answer the questions:
1. Did the majority of people leave their country to spend holidays twenty years ago?
2. Can we book a holiday to a seaside resort on the other side of the world today?
3. Is it possible to book a holiday to a seaside resort on the other side of the world from home?
4. What means of travelling do you know?
5. What countries depend mainly on tourism?
6. Why is tourism so popular?
7. Where do people like going on vacation?
8. What is the most interesting means of travelling for you? Why?
9. Why do most travellers carry a camera with them?
10. What does travelling give us?
11. How does travelling on business help you?
12. What are the means of travelling?
Exersice 3:True or false
1. The majority of people stayed to have holidays in other country.
2. It is possible to book a holiday to a seaside resort on the other side of the world.
3. Staying at home, you can not book tickets.
4. Some young people prefer walking or hitch-hike travelling.
5. The economy of some countries is mainly based on culture.
6. Modern tourism has become a highly developed industry.
7. Nowadays people travel only on business.
8. People have to go to other countries for taking part in different negotiations.
9. Travelling on business helps people to get more information about achievements of other companies.