Booking a hotel room
|Receptionist:||-||Good afternoon, San Felice Hotel. May I help you?|
|Mrs Ryefield:||-||Yes. I´d like to book a room, please.|
|Receptionist:||-||Certainly. When for, madam?|
|Mrs Ryefield:||-||March the 23rd.|
|Receptionist:||-||How long will you be staying?|
|Mrs Ryefield:||-||Three nights.|
|Receptionist:||-||What kind of room would you like, madam?|
|Mrs Ryefield:||-||Er... double with bath. I´d appreciate it if you could give me a room with a view over the lake.|
|Receptionist:||-||Certainly, madam. I´ll just check what we have available. . . Yes, we have a room on the 4th floor with a really splendid view.|
|Mrs Ryefield:||-||Fine. How much is the charge per night?|
|Receptionist:||-||Would you like breakfast?|
|Mrs Ryefield:||-||No, thanks.|
|Receptionist:||-||It´s eighty four euro per night.|
|Mrs Ryefield:||-||That´s fine.|
|Receptionist:||-||Who´s the booking for, please, madam?|
|Mrs Ryefield:||-||Mr and Mrs Ryefield, that´s R-Y-E-F-I-E-L-D.|
|Receptionist:||-||Okay, let me make sure I got that: Mr and Mrs Ryefield. Double with bath for March the 23rd, 24th and 25th. Is that correct?|
|Mrs Ryefield:||-||Yes it is. Thank you.|
|Receptionist:||-||Let me give you your confirmation number. It´s: 7576385. I´ll repeat that: 7576385. Thank you for choosing San Felice Hotel and have a nice day. Goodbye.|
|Exercise 4. Translate the following sentences into Ukrainian: 1.We'd like to take a room with the sea view. 2. Double or single? - A double one with a shower, if possible. We've run out of rooms with showers. But I can give you one with a bath on the fourth floor. 3. The price of our hotel includes breakfast. 4.Will you fill in the registration form, please? 5. Is there a lift in the hotel? 6. Our hotel has the restaurant. Hot food is served only from 11 to 2 and 6 to 11 p.m. Music in the restaurant is from 8 to 2 p.m. 6. Can you recommend any entertainment in addition to the beach and the swimming pool?|
Exercise 5. Fill in the words correctly.
advance, bunk beds, dormitory, double room, family room, key, reception, single room, twin room, vacancies
1. If you book a room for one person, you usually book a .. (single room).
2. If you want a room with a double bed, you book a ….
3. If you want a room with two separated beds, you book a ….
4. For families there are usually special offers if they take a … .
5. In youth hostels rooms are often shared by 10 or more people. This kind of room is called ….
6. To get 10 people into one room, two beds are usually placed on top of each other. They are called ….
7. No matter where you're staying, you usually have to fill in a form at the ….
8. Then the receptionist tells you your room number and gives you the … for your room.
9. During high season it's advisable to book a room in ….
10. If a B&B is fully booked, they usually have a sign in the window saying »No … «.
Послуги, що надаються готелем
· What hotel are we staying at? – В якому готелі ми зупинимося?
· Where is that hotel located? – Де заходиться той готель?
· to be not far from the centre of town –бути недалеко від центру міста
· to reserve a room in the … hotel – забронювати номер в готелі...
· I have a reservation – Для мене заброньований номер
· I need a room for one person/two persons – Мені потрібен одномісний/двомісний номер
· What’s the price per night? – Скільки коштує одна доба в номері?
· What floor is my room on? – На якому поверсі мій номер?
· Do I pay in advance or on departure? – Оплата вперед чи при виїзді?
· to stay for one day \ for three day \ for a week… - зупинитись на один день \ на три дні \ на тиждень
· to take things to the room – відносити речі в номер
· What can I do for you – Що я можу для вас зробити
· I’m leaving today – Я від’їжджаю сьогодні (to leave a hotel)
· to make up the bill – приготувати рахунок
· Where can I park my car? – Де я можу поставити свою машину?
· to be in a room number – бути в номері
· guest –гість
· to provide services –надавати послуги
· a drugstore –аптека
Exercise 1: Read and translate the text:
Hotels provide a variety of services to their guests. The most traditional is laundry (linen) service. You can have your laundry done and your clothes pressed. A big hotel will also have a restaurant, a bar and a coffee shop, a bookstore or a news-stand, a gift shop selling a variety of souvenirs, and a drugstore providing the guests with medicines and cosmetics. At a luxury hotel one can often find a beauty salon. The guests might also need the services of a car agency to be able to rent a car through the hotel. Many hotels provide a free morning paper and free drinks (cocktails) in the afternoon. Local phone calls are usually free.
Rooms in hotel have facilities like a bathroom, colour TV, direct-dial telephone. In some hotels you may ask about things like these: Room Service/Sports Room/Business Conditioning/Jacuzzi/Hair Dryer/Colour TV/Satellite TV/Fax Machine. Lots of hotels have special facilities for conventions: large and small meeting rooms and others.
The maid who does your room will also make your bed. The staff in the hotel will always help you if you don’t know your way about the town. They’ll tell you where to go and what to see. They’ll book seats for you at the theatre and do all they can to make your stay a pleasant one. If you want a guide to show you round, or an interpreter for a business interview, they’ll get you one. If you need to make copies of the document you may use a copying machine at a lounge.
STAYING AT THE HOTEL
In New York there are many hotels. You can reserve accommodation beforehand by telephone or by telegraph. You can reserve a single room, a double room or a suite. The room has all modern convenience: a private bath, a telephone, a TV-set and others. The service is usually quite good. When you enter the hall of big hotel, you can see various desks and stands: a reception desk, news, a telegraph office, etc. The clerk at the reception desk will write your surname, Christian (first) name, nationality, permanent address and your place and date of birth in the register. Then you'll get your key and the bell boy (porter) will help you with your luggage. When you are going to leave the hotel, you tell the desk clerk to get your bill ready.
Exercise 2.Answer the following questions
1. What can hotels do for the guests?
2. What modern conveniences can hotels have?
3. Why do travelers usually reserve rooms in advance?
4. Can you reserve accommodation beforehand by telephone or by telegraph?
5. What kind accommodation can you take?
6. What kind of room will you reserve if you are going to stay: a) alone; b)with your wife(husband); c)with your whole family.
7. What can you see in the hall of the hotel?
8. What can you say about the service at the hotel?
9. Who register guests at the hotel?
10. What questions must you answer to fill in a registration card?
11. Where do you have meals while you will stay at the hotel?
12.What will you ask the desk-clerk to do when you are going to leave the hotel?
13. Did you enjoy your staying at the hotel?