1. The dispatcher can communicate with the loco driver over long distances by means of a radiotelephone. 2. Electric train may be propelled either by electric locomotive or by motor cars. 3. Passengers should not walk across the railway lines; there is a footbridge at the end of the platform. 4. You need not go to the railway station to buy tickets because you can book them at the nearest travel agency. 5. A wagon must be cleaned before being used for another run.
V. Образуйте от данных глаголов две формы Participle I. Полученные причастия переведите на русский язык.
Model: to read – a) reading – читая, читающий;
b) having read – прочитав
1) to offer; 2) to attend; 3) to bring; 4) to discover; 5) to find; 6) to do; 7) to say; 8) to obtain; 9) to deliver; 10) to shut; 11) to ring; 12) to light; 13) to reduce; 14) to depart; 15) to implement.
VI. Перепишите и переведите предложения, обращая внимание на употребление Participle I в функциях определения и обстоятельства. Подчеркните причастия I в английских предложениях и в переводе.
1. When passing the curve a tilting train need not decrease its speed. 2. All trains operating on the suburban lines are driven by electricity. 3. Having built the world’s first electric locomotive, Werner von Siemens demonstrated it at the Berlin Exhibition. 4. Each railway station has at least two tracks, those for the incoming and outcoming trains. 5. The number and the spacing of the sleepers depend on the weight of trains passing over the track.
VII. Образуйте Participle II от глаголов, данных в скобках. Полученные словосочетания перепишите и переведите.
Model: a (to write) article – a written article – написанная статья.
1) a locomotive (to power) by electricity; 2) a (to delay) flight; 3) a (to break) engine; 4) a report (to type) in duplicate; 5) a (to carry out) plan; 6) a (to suspend) bridge; 7) a contract (to sign) by 2 companies; 8) mistakes (to make) in calculations; 9) the (to develop) countries; 10) railway tickets (to sell) yesterday.
VIII. Перепишите и переведите предложения, обращая внимание на употребление Participle II в функциях определения и обстоятельства. Подчеркните причастия II в английских предложениях и в переводе.
1. The first steam locomotive built by G. Stephenson could draw a small train of loaded cars at a speed of 13 miles per hour. 2. When upgraded, the track will be used for high-speed movement. 3. The engine designed by Rudolf Diesel is one of the greatest inventions of the 20th century. 4. The new materials recommended for bridge construction were described in the article written by our professor. 5. A lot of scientists invited to the conference refused to take part in it.
IX. Перепишите предложения. Задайте общие вопросы и специальные вопросы к подчеркнутым словам.
1. The two-speed escalators are being installed at new Metro stations. 2. We arranged to meet at 8 p.m. in front of the PushkinMonument. 3. The length of the bus route has been increased by 3 km. 4. The service life of steel sleepers lasts from 35 to 60 years. 5. Tilting trains pass the curves at a high speed. 6. Electricity was used for the first time for industrial purposes in the silver workshops in Paris. 7. The rails are called T-rails because of their shape.